1.1 Language points of the text
1.remain elusive / unclear / unknown / unanswered / controversial
2.arise from / arise with
3.A occurs/ happens / arises / results when …
4. fail to：All patients entered remission except one who failed to respond to the treatment，and collapsed and died two weeks after initiation of the treatment.
1.–ma = tumor / mass
2.When …，they are said to … （如果…，我们就说…）
e.g. When these main clinical symptoms disappear，the patient is said to enter “honey moon”，which may last for a few months or even years，depending on the constitutional condition of the patient and effectiveness of the treatment.
Know how to read the following words： metastasize / metastasis / metastatic
3.deadly / fatal / lethal / LD50
4.invade / invasion / invasive
5.Know how to read the words on the list
1. Cancer，one of the most feared diseases，is spreading rapidly not only in industrial countries but also in developing countries.
2. First，with the development of productivity，improvement of living standard and progress in science， especially in medical science，more and more people are living longer. As they get old， the chance of getting cancer become greater.
3. The second reason is that people in poor countries are changing the way they live. For example，they eat more food rich in fat，and more people are smoking cigarettes.
4. The third reason is that many poor areas are lacking doctors and medicine. When patients go to seek medical help，their tumors are likely to have spread to other parts of the body，and doctors can do little for them now.
5. Finally，people there have little basic knowledge，thus unable to recognize the early warning signals of cancer. Had they known these warning signals，many could have been alive or at least lived longer.